June 14, 2011

Just Floating

I pulled into the parking spot closest to the exit doors of the commissary and did a silent dance of triumph in my head. One of the coveted parking spots was MINE! And this would be the biggest victory of my day. When you're forced to grocery shop every week with two young children, the closer the parking spot the better.


I pulled the baby from her car seat, took my son by the hand, and we walked over to where the rocket ship carts were stored. At our commissary they have special carts for kids where the top part is a plastic rocket ship and they have steering wheels in them. We ALWAYS grab one of those if we can simply because it makes the whole shopping trip a little easier. After strapping the kids in I sighed a perfunctory sigh , and began shopping from my list. Fruit, veggies, diapers, chicken, milk. . . 


Ten more days until my husband is home, and fifteen until he graduates. Then he is done. Everything is done. All we have to do is wait for the movers, and pack our personal items. I should be bursting with excitement, and in some ways I am, but I am also finding myself just floating through my days in an almost surreal state of mind. I still cook every night when my husband is gone because when I eat like crap, I feel like crap, and so do my kids. . . and from experience, that is a bad plan. Thus the necessary trips to the store. We've even eaten up our emergency stash of food in order to avoid throwing things away, so when we are out of groceries, we are OUT.

My son is done with school, my house is cleaned out, and organized, so the only thing I have on my oh so urgent agenda is keeping things tidy, laundry done, and the grocery store. Aside from that, there is literally nothing else to do. I have nothing that HAS to be done, or that can be done right now. While it is nice to relax, it's a peculiar feeling. It's slightly unsettling, and I think that is because I know what is coming. This is the calm before the storm so to speak.

Our countdown has gone from months to weeks. While there is still much to be done, nothing can be accomplished until my husband graduates. I know that once he is back it is going to be a whirlwind of stress and excitement while we try to fit a month's worth of stuff into three weeks. And we will even be homeless for little while when we visit our families in the midwest before we head overseas. I don't like feeling complacent, or bored. I am definitely getting itchy for things to get going since I know how much must be done. However, there are 15 more days of floating. So I guess I will just fill up the pool in the backyard, and float we will.







No comments:

Post a Comment