Military life means moving around a lot. I find that which each move to a post/new city I ask myself, "What is there to do here?". There are a lot of moves in my future, and only a few in my past so for those of you who've lived in places other than the ones I'm mentioning, or if you have something to add to the ones I have, please email me or leave a comment and feel free to contribute! So without further adieu, here is a list of things to do in and around some military communities.
Fort Stewart/Hunter Army Airfield - Savannah, Georgia
1. Go to the beach on Tybee Island
2. Peruse the art galleries and antique shops in City Market
3. Take a ghost or historical tour of the city.
4. Sample the unique local restaurant scene.
5. Attend the annual St. Patrick's Day parade and celebration.
6. Take the family to Oatland Island Wildlife Center.
7. Take in a Sand Gnats minor league baseball game.
9. Go shopping along River Street.
10. Golf on many area golf courses
* Other near by areas of interest include Hilton Head Island, St. Simons Island, and Jekyl Island.
Fort Benning - Columbus, Georgia
1. Visit Callaway Gardens
2. Canoe on the Chattahoochee River
3. Visit the National Infantry Museum just outside Fort Benning Main Gate.
4. Take in a show at the Springer Opera House.
5. Visit the Coca Cola Space and Science Center.
6. Watch and interact with sea life at the Atlanta Aquarium.
7. Head to Turner Field for a Braves Game.
8. Stroll through the historical district and check out it's local restaurants.
9. Go to Six Flags Theme or Water parks in Atlanta.
10. See the sights at Providence Canyon State Park in near by Lumpkin, Georgia.
Fort Bragg - Fayetteville, North Carolina
1. Visit Cape Fear Botanical Gardens.
2. Learn and play at the Fayetteville Children's Museum
3. See and feed some unique animals at Jambba's Ranch.
4. Swim and have fun at Fantasy Lake Water Park.
5. Learn about the Army at the Airborne and Special Operations Museum.
6. Cruise "Pottery Highway" to visit local potters and artists.
7. Visit the North Carolina Zoo.
8. Head over to Southern Pines/Pinehurst to golf some of the best courses in the country.
9. Take in a FireAntz Hockey game.
10. Spend family time at Carowinds Theme Park in Charlotte.
* Other near by areas of interest include the North Carolina beaches, events during racing season in Concord/Charlotte, and events in Raleigh & Durham.