August 31, 2011

What the Heck is Sleep?

It's my turn to get up with the kids this morning. My husband and I take turns getting up on the weekends or when he's on leave so that the other person can sleep in. I'm tired. No, I'm exhausted. We've been traveling for almost a month, living out of our suitcases, and the kids haven't had a normal or structured bed time for that long. To and from Toronto, back to the midwest, to and from my parents house. . . And it's beginning to show.

Our son now refuses to sleep alone, getting up at least 5 times a night to remind us of that fact. The baby randomly wakes at all hours of the night which of course wakes me. I've taken to just letting her fuss and usually she'll cry herself back to sleep within a few minutes. Sometimes.

While I sit here sipping my (elixar of life) coffee, I'm really starting to wonder about this time change business and the effects of jet-lag on my kids. The last time I dealt with a significant time change was when I went to the UK for a summer when I was 17. But that was only 6 or so hours difference. Moving to Okinawa means changing our days and nights around completely. Please explain to me how to do that with a 13 month old. Dear God, I shudder at the thought.

I guess I better saddle up for  few more weeks with out sleep. Not a cheerful prospect since I become the Incredible Hulk - without the incredible strength, when I've had fewer than 6 hours of sleep in a night. However I must remind myself  that I am the adult. I do not have the luxury of a temper tantrum when I'm feeling down and out. (Something I truly envy of our son) I have to be the one to put out the fires.

In 4 days we'll find out for ourselves. . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment